A Short History of Mt. Hermon Lutheran Church
Mt. Hermon is named for the majestic Mt. Hermon in Israel. Mt. Hermon is the highest peak in Israel, usually snow-capped, with its foothills forming the tributaries of the River Jordan which provides life to so much of Israel. Psalm 133:3 teaches: It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forevermore.
(English Standard Version)
Mt. Hermon was formed on July 26, 1896, when 38 interested Lutherans met, adopted a constitution, elected officers and called Rev. W. L. Darr as pastor. Since its beginning Mt. Hermon has been served by twenty pastors including Rev. W. H. Dutton who served two different terms. Rev. Lawrence Yount served faithfully from 1962 until 2001. Pastor Gene Bruce served from 2001-2008 and Pastor Tom Corbell served from 2010-2017.
The first building was erected in 1896 and was remodeled and expanded with the addition of our present sanctuary in 1942. Mt. Hermon's parsonage was built in 1953 and the educational building was built in 1962. All building has been done with much "Labor of Love" by the congregation, and the church has always remained debt-free. The remodel of the educational building was completed in 2016 and is now twice the size.
Mt. Hermon Lutheran Church disaffiliated from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on April 25, 2010. Subsequently, the church affiliated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). This has been a prayerful decision based solidly on the teachings of the inspired Word of God.
Through one hundred twenty one years, Mt. Hermon has shared the closeness of a true community in Christ. Through births, deaths, baptisms and confirmations Mt. Hermon has remained a church family, always committed to each other and to our common journey with Christ. With a quiet pride in our past and eternal hope in the future, we invite you to join us in our walk with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
(Updated October 2017)